Documents To Go®
Getting Started Tips
Use Word, Excel and other files on your Palm OS® handheld. Instantly.
Use the up/down buttons on your device or the scroll bar at the right of the screen to move up and down within this document. Or, tap the triangle next to the Find button for a list of bookmarks.
Welcome to Documents To Go. This document is intended to give you an overview of Documents To Go as well as highlight some of the features. This is a Microsoft Word file brought to your handheld using Documents To Go.
With Documents To Go you can view and edit word processing and spreadsheet files on your handheld. Simple push-button synchronization of the handheld with the desktop will maintain the most up-to-date version of a file on both the desktop and handheld.
To use documents or spreadsheets on your PalmOS® handheld you must add them to Documents To Go on your desktop computer. To add files, do the following:
On the Desktop:
1. Run the Documents To Go program.
2. Select “Add Item”, browse to the location of the file, highlight the file and click “open", or double-click on the file. You may also drag the document directly into the Documents To Go program window.
As documents are added to Documents To Go, they will be converted for optimized use on your handheld. Once they are added, simply synchronize to move them to the handheld.
On the Handheld:
1. Tap on Documents To Go in the main application menu on the device.
2. Tap on the “Menu” icon on the bottom left of your handheld screen.
3. Under Record, tap on “Add Item” and select the files that already exist on the device that you would like to add to the Documents To Go list.
4. During synchronization, these newly added items will be brought up to the desktop.
WordToGo and SheetToGo contain features that allow you to edit documents and spreadsheets quickly and easily. Some useful features and tips are listed below:
WordToGo editing features and tips
• Perform basic text editing (adding and deleting text, cut, copy, paste, undo). Use graffiti keystrokes for these simple and quick functions.
• Format characters using bold text, underlined text, italics, large text, large bold text and various combinations of these attributes.
• Save changes as a new document.
• Support for color text.
• Use your stylus (pen) as you would a mouse on the desktop for easy highlighting and placement of the cursor.
• In a table, use the left and right arrows in the bottom right corner of the screen to move side to side.
• Insert a Bookmark at an important part of your Word document on your desktop. On the handheld, those bookmarks will appear in the bookmark list. Just tap on the triangle at the bottom of this screen to show the bookmark list and tap a bookmark name to jump right to that part of the document. You can also add your own bookmarks as well on the handheld by selecting Add Bookmark in the same pop up list.
SheetToGo editing features and tips
• Perform basic text editing (adding and deleting text, cut, copy, and paste). Use graffiti keystrokes for these simple and quick functions.
• Use the inner navigation arrows to move a cell at a time. Use the outer navigation arrows to move left and right a page at a time. Use the hardware buttons to move up and down a page at a time.
• Adjust column widths by selecting between the column headers and drag to the desired setting.
• Tap on the triangle in the upper left corner of your spreadsheet to use the Find feature. The Find feature searches for text within the spreadsheet. Once that text is found, you may select the triangle again and Find Next to get to the next occurrence of the text you are searching for.
• Change values in cells and see the spreadsheet recalculate.
• Position your cursor in an important cell in Excel on your desktop and use the Insert Comment command to add a comment and mark the spot. On the handheld, those bookmarks will appear in the Comments list when you tap the Go button at the bottom of the screen when viewing a spreadsheet.
• Add bookmarks on the handheld by selecting Add Bookmark from the Sheet menu. Tap the Menu button to access bookmarks.
• Save changes as a new document by selecting Save As… from the menu.
WordView and SheetView contain features that allow you to navigate through documents and spreadsheets quickly and easily. Some useful tips are listed below.
WordView viewing tips:
• Tap on top half of document to scroll up one line at a time.
• Tap on bottom half of document to scroll down one line at a time.
• Use the scroll bar to the right of document or the handheld’s Up/Down hardware buttons to move to different portions of the document.
• Add bookmarks in your original desktop Word documents using the “Insert Bookmark” menu and they will be available in the handheld WordView documents.
• Tap on the triangle next to the “Find” button to jump to a specific point in the document via these bookmarks.
• Tap “Menu” on the lower left portion of your handheld to display additional options.
• When viewing documents with tables, use the Left and Right arrows, which appear next to the triangle to move to different portions of the table.
• Tap the “Find” button next to the “Done” button to search for text within the document.
SheetView viewing tips:
• Tap in any cell and tap the arrows in the lower right portion of the screen to move one cell in any particular direction.
• Drag stylus up, down, left, right or diagonally to move to the next range of cells in any of those directions.
• Tap on a column header to freeze cells, modify column widths or select “Home” to go to the cell in row 1 of that column.
• Tap on a row header to freeze cells or select “Home” to go to the cell in column A of that row.
• Tap “Go” to navigate to a particular cell.
• Tap “Go” and select a “Comment” to jump to a particular cell. In your desktop spreadsheet file, you can insert comments in cells. Documents To Go lists those comments as bookmarks in the SheetView “Go” dialog. If you need to quickly navigate to one or more cells on your handheld, insert comments in the desktop spreadsheet.
• To bookmark a position in SheetView complete with column width settings and freeze pane information, tap “Menu” on the lower left portion of your handheld display and from the Sheet menu choose “Add Bookmark...”
• Tap the drop down menu on the top right portion of the screen to move between sheets.
• Tap “Menu” on the lower left portion of your handheld display and from the Search menu choose “Find” or “Find Next” to search for text.
• Tap the drop down arrow in the upper left corner of the sheet for additional options.
Microsoft Word 95, 97, 2000
Microsoft Excel 95, 97, 2000
Corel WordPerfect 6, 7, 8, 9
Corel Quattro Pro 1, 5, 6, 7, 8
Lotus WordPro 96, 97, 98, Millennium
Lotus 1-2-3 97, 98, Millennium
ClarisWorks 4, 5 (SS and WP)
AppleWorks 5 (SS and WP)
AppleWorks 6 (SS and WP)*
Microsoft Word 6, 98
Microsoft Excel 5, 98
Palm Computing® Platform "doc" format
*Documents To Go supports synchronizing AppleWorks 6 files to the handheld. Sychronization back to the desktop will be in AppleWorks 5. AppleWorks 6 can open AppleWorks 5.
To Save a document or spreadsheet file on your handheld device after changes have been made, select Done. You will then be prompted to select how you would like to save your file.
Save Changes - This option will save the changes on the handheld, and on the next synchronization Documents To Go will update the original desktop document with the changes.
Save As… - This option will create a new file on the handheld. On the next synchronization Documents To Go will create a new document on the desktop.
Don’t Save Changes - This option will not save the changes to the document.
Return to Document - This option will bring you back to your document, to the last state it was in, without having saved it.
It has never been easier to share documents with other Palm OS® users. Documents To Go allows you to beam your word processing and spreadsheets files to other handheld devices including Handspring Visor, IBM WorkPad, Sony Personal Entertainment Organizer (Clié), and all Palm™ devices with Infrared ports.
To Beam a document…
1. Tap the Documents application on the handheld so that it displays the list of Documents (you may need to tap Done if doing that brings you into a document view).
2. Select the document you want to beam by tapping its size.
3. Tap the Menu button, located at the bottom left of the Graffiti writing area.
• If the other user already has Documents To Go, tap Beam Document Only.
• If the other user does not have Documents To Go, tap Beam Application and Document. This will automatically send the appropriate application to the other handheld prior to beaming the document. This way, they will have everything needed to view your documents.
Documents To Go contains an online help file that goes into more detail about the various features and options in the product. To access help, simply launch the Documents To Go desktop application, and click the help button.
55 Corporate Drive
Trumbull, CT 06611
(800) 733-0030 sales
(203) 268-0030 technical support